Creating an Incubator of Innovation for Students & Educators
From the glass walls and integrated presence of technology, to the ongoing teamwork of students and just-in-time facilitated learning, the physical and cultural environment is designed to:
Based on a national model out of Napa, California called The New Tech Network , this school serves as an incubator of innovation for all our schools. Students from all of our districts attend and their educators come to learn and innovate.
KIH is a project-based learning school. We encourage students of all aptitudes to visit and see if they would like to apply.
Every district has a process to apply to KIH. If interested, please talk to KIH and schedule a visit. After that, we can help you start the process to apply to KIH.
We'd love to talk more with you about whether or not KIH and PBL are a good option!
PLEASE NOTE: Prior to applying, students must "shadow" another student for the day at KIH. Parents are also required to tour the facility.
Parents/students contact Tracy Olson after they:
- make a request to shadow through your home school guidance office.
- communicate with your teachers, too. This visit does not exempt you from completing classwork.
- pick two dates that will be the least disruptive to your home school classes.
- make sure those dates also work for the parent's schedule.
- parents will drive students to KIH. While the student goes off on the shadow, the parent(s) take a program tour (approximately 15 minutes for a tour)
- students will take their district's bus to KIH. Parents can tour at another date/time. (Sometimes this is the best choice; the student determines first if they are interested. If they are not interested, the parent doesn't have to tour.)
- Once the date is chosen, the student or parent contacts Tracy Olson to schedule the shadow. MOST days work, but it's best to contact us with two date options.
Classes start at 6:55 a.m. Students are asked to arrive shortly before this time. Parent tours start as early as 7:00 a.m. and as late as 11:00 a.m.
Arriving at KIH: we are located on the campus of Kent ISD . All of our parking lots are numbered. Please park in LOT 3 . Look for the KIH sign on the building.
Kent Innovation High is located in a wing of the Kent Career Technical Center. Because of this, we follow their drill schedule .
All doors at KIH are locked. Parents, vistors and students must enter through the main office. We appreciate your cooperation.
We are accepting applications for incoming 9th and 10th grade students. We do accept an occasional 11th grade student under certain circumstances. Please contact the office for further information. Find the application HERE .